Coconut oil is not only famous for its benefits as an edible oil throughout the world, but also as an excellent oil for skin. It has various skin benefits as it makes it soft, smooth and also cure many skin disorders. Read more on benefits of coconut oil for skin in this article.
Coconut oil is not only used for cooking, but also used in several other ways in tropical countries throughout the world. People in these regions use coconut oil on their skin as they believe that this oil provides protection from the harmful rays of the sun. Thus, coconut oil without any additives or chemicals provide protection and nourishment to skin. Some exceptional natural qualities of coconut oil make it so beneficial for the skin, lets talk about these in detail to get to know about various skin benefits of coconut oil.
Composition of Coconut Oil
The following are the constituents of coconut oil which helps in maintaining skin health:
- More than 90% of coconut oil is composed of saturated fats, but there is nothing to worry about as most of them are medium chain triglycerides (MCTs).
- These MCTs are assimilated easily in the body and among these, Lauric acid is most commonly found, followed by caprylic acid, capric acid, myristic and palmitic acid.
- These fats help make the skin smooth when touched.
- Due to these fats, the moisture content is retained in the skin and they also help eliminate moisture loss through the skin pores.
- When this oil is eaten, it helps deposit fat under the skin and gives it a smooth and healthy appearance.
- Capric, caprylic and lauric acid are strong disinfectant and have antimicrobial properties which helps protect the skin from various microbial infections.
- These fats also help in reducing excess fat, removing stretch marks and skin folds, thus, providing a toned skin.
Monounsaturated fats: Oleic acid is most commonly found monounsaturated fats in coconut oil.
Polyunsaturated fats: Linoleic acid is found in coconut oil.
- Coconut oil is also rich in proteins like coconut itself.
- These proteins help rejuvenate the skin and keep it healthy as it aids in tissue repair and cellular health. Thus, when skin cells are damaged, proteins flow help replacement of dead tissues at a standard rate, but in people with deficient protein diet this replacement rate is too low and often scars are found on the skin. Hence, coconut oil helps repair the skin fast.
- This oil is beneficial for skin as it does not become rancid and work for a longer time unlike other oils. As a result, it is used in various skin care products.
Vitamin-E, vitamin-K and some minerals like iron are found to be present in coconut oil which are again beneficial for skin’s health.
Coconut Oil in Skin Care Products
Due to the above constituents of coconut oil, it is widely used in the following products use for skin:
1. Skin Softener: Coconut oil helps counter dry and hard skin problems. Take a small amount of coconut oil on palms and simply rub over the dried parts of the body. It also helps soften cracked and hardened feet which can be caused due to excess cold and continued work while standing on the feet.
2. Skin Exfoliant: Coconut oil can be mixed with sugar granules to make a wonderful skin scrub. This will help rub out the dead skin, clean the pores and give a soft and silky skin.
3. Lip Gel: Coconut oil is an ideal lip gel and it is so natural that if ingested can not cause any harm, but will provide benefits, unlike other chemical based lip gels which can be toxic.
4. Anti-Ageing Creams: Due to various natural constituents, coconut oil is also used in several anti-ageing creams.
5. Soaps: Coconut oil is used in soaps as it has cleansing property in addition to skin softening and smoothing properties.
6. Make-Up Remover: Simple, coconut oil can be used to remove make-up from eyes and face, so even, if it goes in the eyes, it would not cause any harm.
7. Skin Disorders: Coconut oil is used to cure various skin-disorders like psoriasis, acne, eczema and dermatitis etc. It can be used on bug-bites, rashes, skin flaking, shrinking wrinkles and what more, protection against sun’s harmful rays.
The above properties of coconut oil make it a single all-in-one cure for all skin issues. Make sure, you get only pure, organic and extra virgin coconut oil to get healthy and beautiful skin.