As the cholesterol problem continues to getting high, people across the world are turning towards the more natural approach to solve this health issue. There are increased chances of heart diseases with high cholesterol level. The conventional thought which poses a confusion about cholesterol level getting high with the use of coconut oil as it is a saturated oil, but it is not true anymore. Coconut oil is a heart healthy food which contributes to smooth running of the body in several ways. Read this article to clear the confusion about cholesterol level with intake of coconut oil.
Cholesterol and its Function
Cholesterol is produced in liver which is a wax like substance helps to build lipoproteins, which helps in carrying fats through the blood. There are 2 types of lipoproteins – low density (LDLs) and high density (HDLs). Cholesterol molecule is bound to LDLs and transported into the bloodstream. LDL also perform unwanted function of accumulating cholesterol in the blood vessels which is why high LDL levels are considered as a risk to health. Desirable HDLs functions to clear the unused fats and send it back to the liver. Hence, HDLs are considered good for health.
Coconut Oil Benefits in Lowering Cholesterol
Though, coconut oil is a saturated fat, but it does not raise cholesterol level. Several studies show that coconut oil is detrimental on cholesterol level and thus, prevents various heart diseases. It is achieved due to the following reasons:
- Coconut oil is composed of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). Lauric acid which is a type of MCTs helps increase the good cholesterol level or HDL level.
- Lauric acid also helps to enhance cholesterol and blood ratio levels.
- If you take coconut oil regularly in your diet, it will help lowering the cholesterol level by converting it into a molecule which is a precursor to various hormones required by our body. This molecule is called Pregnenolone.
- Since, improper functioning of thyroid contributes to high cholesterol level, taking coconut oil on a regular basis helps restore normal functioning of thyroid.
- As coconut oil contains special fats composed of medium chain triglycerides and thus, breaking down these fats requires efficient burning of energy. Hence, fats are not stored in the body, instead they are used up by the body.
- Polyphenols present in coconut oil prevents oxidation of cholesterol which helps enhance atherosclerosis (preventing deposition of fat in the arteries).
The above facts show that taking coconut oil regularly in your balanced diet, definitely helps in improving the cholesterol level, while it does not reduce the total cholesterol level like polyunsaturated oils. This heart healthy oil has a greater effect on HDL level and lowering LDL level in the bloodstream. So, when we compare and evaluate the values of HDL and cholesterol ratio, coconut oil helps reduce the risk of heart diseases more than canola, soybean, safflower and other vegetable oils. Thus, coconut oil is much better option than other oils to protect from heart diseases. Coconut oil in solidified form helps raise the good cholesterol level in blood.