Several reports suggesting that coconut oil is a natural cure for hypothyroidism is gaining popularity, which is actually true. Hypothyroidism is a health disorder leading to various troublesome symptoms like lethargy, weight gain, depression and cold sensitivity. Now, coconut oil is a renowned treatment for hypothyroidism due to the presence of various fatty acids. Read more about coconut oil and its use in cure of hypothyroidism in this article.
Causes of Hypothyroidism
You must be aware about what are the causes sluggish thyroid. The following are some of the important causes which can lead to hypothyroidism:
- Deficiency of Iodine – Nowadays, our diets are becoming less in iodine. Iodine in appropriate amounts are required by our body for proper functioning of thyroid to release the hormones.
- Fatty acids and MSG – These have become common in our diet and leading to weakening of thyroid.
- Age of a person – The risk of imbalanced thyroid increases with unbalanced thyroid.
- Prescription drugs – Some medicines prescribed for bones, heart and blood sugar can cause hypothyroidism in some people.
- Chlorine and Fluorine – When excess of chlorine and fluorine in drinking are consumed, it can interfere with normal functioning of thyroid.
- Family history – It can be normally found in those some people who have family history of thyroid dysfunction.
- Autoimmune health issues – These can also trigger thyroid dysfunction.
- Pregnancy or Menopause and therapies like Estrogen Replacement Therapy can trigger improper functioning of thyroid.
Hypothyroidism whether caused by any of the above factors will reduce the amount of thyroid hormone required by the body. The conventional methods for curing hypothyroidism is based on replacing the hormones by either synthetic method or other bio-identical forms, but they are not effective as these treatment ignore the root cause of the problem.
Coconut Oil In Treatment of Hypothyroidism
Coconut oil has emerged as a natural treatment for thyroid dysfunction due to the following reasons:
- Coconut oil is rich in saturated fats which are healthy, unlike other oils containing polyunsaturated fats found in other oils which are unhealthy.
- Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) like lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid.
- The above fatty acids have unique structures which make them highly usable energy source for the body which also helps nourish the thyroid.
- Lauric acid is converted into monoalurin is known to protect against various infections caused by viruses, fungi, bacteria, yeast and other parasites.
- These MCTs and monoglycerides found in coconut oil show extraordinary antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, thus, boosting up the metabolism of the body and elevates energy levels.
Hence, the above properties of coconut oil address to root of the problem by controlling the immune system of the body and by decreasing the inflammation. Make sure that you get virgin coconut oil and consume it one tablespoon a day initially and gradually increase its intake.