Dehydration is when one is deprived of adequate water in one’s body system and there are less fluids. If you lose out on fluids then obviously your body functioning gets affected.
Summer time is a tough time and, naturally, one has to drink a lot of water. Some element of dehydration does take place, but excessive heat can cause severe dehydration. Several other ailments can also cause dehydration and naturally consultations with the doctor is important.
Causes of dehydration
- Vigorous exercise in hot weather – Too much exercise can also cause dehydration and heat stroke. Heat stroke can cause diarrhea.
- Excessive sweating – In summer one suffers from excessive sweating and naturally one suffers from dehydration.
- Fever sweating – Whenever one has fever one loses out on fluids.
- Dehydration does takes place due to chronic illness and naturally one has to take the required treatment.
- Not drinking sufficient water in summer can also cause dehydration.
- Illness – When one is ill one can also suffer from dehydration. One has loose motions or rather diarrhoea as well as vomiting.
- Sweating – One looses fluids when one sweats.
- Fever, excessive, increased urination.
- When there is no access to drinking water.
- Who are not in a position to seek water or food.
- Mouth sores or severe skin.
- Diseases such diabetes.
How to treat dehydration?
One must treat dehydration as normal fluid flow is essential. One must replace lost fluids. Water loss is there on account of exposure to the sun during the summer.
Symptoms of Dehydration
- Increased thirst – One feels more thirsty.
- Inability to sweat.
- Few or no tears.
- Decrease in urine output.
- Fever that is higher than 103 degree.
- Urine output decreases.
- Sunken eyes.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Weight loss.
Who are at risk of suffering from Dehydration?
- Older people drink less fluids.
- Small babies have low body weight and happen to be sensitive to even some loss in fluids.
How to overcome dehydration?
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Diluted squash.
- In case of dehydration is on account of no cause, then it is necessary to meet the doctor.
- It is essential to check one’s body to see if there are dehydration symptoms.
- Many times children as well as teenagers neglect dehydration, and it causes problems. It is better to go in for a check-up. One must take required precautions.
What are the serious effects of dehydration?
- Swelling of the brain (cerebral edema).
- Heat Injury: Too much excessive exposure to heat will certainly deplete fluids in the body.
- Low blood volume shock: This is a serious form of life threatening dehydration. Blood pressure falls and there is a drop in the oxygen levels.
Dehydration must be treated on time and it is essential to consult a doctor in case it is severe. It is unavoidable to dehydrate in summer and required precautions must be taken. Plenty of fluid intake is preferred during extreme heat.
Who are vulnerable to Dehydration?
- Professionals who work outdoors.
- Film personnel.
- Infants and Babies.
- Those having a long term health condition.
- Elderly people as well.
To avoid depletion of body fluids it is better to have adequate water intake.