Blood dyscrasias is a health condition which develops when more than one blood components get impaired. This blood disorder will occur when the count of the blood components like the red blood cells (platelets) or white blood cells gets increased or lowered in the blood. This blood disease might also interfere with the natural work of the blood and will make it clot. The people who have abnormal blood function face risk of developing the condition of Blood Dyscrasia.
Blood Dyscrasias: Types
- Von Willebrand’s Disease: This type of blood dyscrasia develops when the blood gets clotted owing to low amount of proteins in it. This can make coagulation much difficult.
- Hemorrhages: This medical condition occurs owing to the mild anemic condition or less count of red blood cells. It is caused due to the issues of severe bleeding.
- Anemia: This low blood count condition can be extremely painful and causes depletion the amount of red blood cells. This medical condition generally affects the kids.
- Thrombocytopenia: This medical state is known to have a low platelet count and will lead to severe decrease in the production of platelets. Sometimes, this medical condition can also cause excess bleeding.
- Hemophilia: This blood disease develops when the blood clotting issues gave a negative impact over the blood platelets.
Causes of Blood Dyscrasias
The problems might be caused by several factors that are mentioned below.
- Heredity: Genetics plays an important role in developing blood dyscrasias. A family background with any immediate relation suffering from this blood condition might be an issue. The probability of getting this disease increases and people can get it at some point in their life.
- Low Platelet Count: Low platelet count can be a major cause of blood dyscrasia. Some people might experience low platelet functions or less clotting factor owing to decrease in blood proteins. These people are prone to developing this medical condition.
- Serious Diseases: Sometimes, severe medical conditions, which results in severe infection or causes genes mutation can also lead to blood dyscrasias.
- Use Of Certain Drugs: Using certain drugs like NSAIDs or Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs, warfarin or aspirin can induce bleeding.
- Too Much Exposure: When a person who has an occupation that exposes him to certain chemicals which can cause severe damage to the bone marrow and bleeding.
General Symptoms of Blood Dyscrasias
The following are the general symptoms that indicate the development of the condition –
- Depletion of red blood cells
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Occurrence of frequent infections owing to very low numbers of white blood cells
- Blood clots
- Pale skin
- General weakness
- Blood blisters inside the mouth
- Loss of blood proteins
- Bleeding issues
Severe Symptoms Of the problem Caused By Specific Medical Conditions
- Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura or ITP: This disease causes symptoms, such as quick onset of bleeding points of large or small sizes on the skin’s surface. Infection by the virus is another one.
- Von Willebrand’s Disease: This medical condition can lead to symptoms like unusual bleeding from the gums and nose bleeds.
- Hemophilia: This medical issue is responsible for causing severe symptoms like easy bruising, too much bleeding after a surgery or while performing circumcision and bleeding in the joints.
- Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura or TTP: This health condition would trigger symptoms like frequent bleeding, depletion of red blood cells as well as anemia.
- Leukemia: When a person has developed leukemia, they might experience some serious symptoms. The symptoms are severe infection in the white blood cells, pain in the bones, bleeding frequently and anemia.
- Sickle Cell Anemia: This anemic condition would cause many early symptoms of Blood Dyscrasias. These includes enlargement of the spleen, frequent and severe pain in the abdomen and bleeding in the major joints of the body.
Treatment for Blood Dyscrasias
The treatment helps includes identifying and addressing the causes of this condition. The treatment for this blood disorder would be a combination of medications, changes in dietary plans, phlebotomy or transfusions. The patient affected with this condition can seek the advice of a hematologist. He is the specialist in diagnosing and managing the blood disorders.
- Blood Tests: The physician will prescribe the blood tests to check for the activity and structure of clotting factors of human blood. Blood tests help in identifying the nature of the disorder precisely. This is the first step towards the development of the treatment plan.
- Medications: The specialist would advise dietary changes and offers medications for treating specific issues related to blood dyscrasias. When a patient has too much clotting issue, then the doctor would prescribe anticoagulant medication that is helpful for controlling bleeding and clotting.
- Transplantation: Complex procedures like bone marrow transplantation are usually helpful for patients who have Blood dyscrasias along with leukemia.
- Blood Transfusions: For the patients who have very less blood volume would be advised to undergo blood transfusions to replace the whole blood.
- Phlebotomy: During the procedure of therapeutic phlebotomy, some amount of blood is removed and is an apt choice for the people who have developed hemochromatosis, owing to high amount of iron in the blood along with Blood Dyscrasias.
During the course of these treatments for blood dyscrasias, the hematologist, to check how the patient’s body responds to the treatments, will prescribe blood tests periodically. The blood tests will begin to show normal results as soon as the treatments begin to work on the blood count. However, some genetic issues cannot be cured, but the treatments will help in controlling it. Issues like anemia will get fully cured within a few months or weeks of treatment.